Carlyle School Parents, Teachers and Friends Association
WHAT IS THE PTFA?
The Parent, Teacher and Friends Association, or PTFA, is a registered charity (no. 1022296) which raises money to help the school provide “extras” for the kids – fun experiences and learning opportunities that the school budget can’t stretch to. We also run some community events ourselves, such as a Glow Disco and welcome events for new Reception parents.
SO WHO IS IN THE PTFA?
The PTFA is a group of parents, teachers and friends of the school. Most of the members of the PTFA also work (either part time or full time), so PTFA activities have to fit around busy family lives. But being part of the PTFA can be really rewarding and a fantastic opportunity to make friends within the Carlyle community.
The PTFA committee is currently made up of:
- Shabana Sadiq – chair
- Jenny Hicks – treasurer
- Barbara Taylor – secretary
- Debz Smith – member
- Lisa Fletcher – member
And we also have a group of regular volunteers.
We can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT FUNDRAISING ACTIVITIES DOES THE PTFA DO?
In 2016/2017 we have done all this:
- Secret Santa
- Summer Fair
- Christmas cards
- Firework Art competition
- Word search competitions
- Glow Disco
- Refreshments at various events
- Selling second hand uniform
- Stall at the Christmas Fair
- Mother’s Day craft
- Collections at school performances
Check out the Latest News section of the website for information on our upcoming events.
WHAT SORT OF THINGS DOES THE PTFA FUND?
In 2016/2017 we have been able to fund the following:
- £2,000 for new books
- Funds to create a Sensory Space and Quiet Room
- The school’s TV licence
- Materials for STEM Week projects
- Coaches for school trips
- Pantomime in the school hall
- Materials/prizes for the Easter bonnet competition
- £500 towards outdoor resources
- Visit from live owls
- Christmas party gift bags
- Owl sculpture for art projects
- Disco lights for the school hall
- Drumming workshop
- Chicks to hatch at school
And we have over £3,500 saved up for new outdoor equipment.
WHAT DO THE PTFA COMMITTEE AND VOLUNTEERS ACTUALLY DO?
Some of the things we’ve been doing in the last year include:
- Wrapping the presents the children have chosen for Secret Santa
- Supervising the Glow Disco
- Helping the children making Mother’s Day presents
- Shopping for Secret Santa presents
- Writing newsletters
- Displaying children’s Firework Art Competition artwork and choosing the winners
- Counting and banking money
- Serving refreshments
- Sorting second hand uniform
- Contacting companies for raffle prizes
- Booking entertainment
- Attending the occasional meeting
- Running stalls at the Christmas and Summer Fairs
ARE YOU INTERESTED HELPING THE PTFA?
Any time that you can spare to help out with our fundraising events would be gratefully received – whether you want to join the committee or just volunteer for specific events. Preparation work and some events can be carried out in the evenings or weekends, so even if you are not available during school hours there is still plenty you could do to help.
We plan our events depending on the skills of our volunteers and the amount of time they have available. Here are just a few ways in which you might be able to help us:
- Do you like planning events? Why not join the committee? Or even just volunteer to help organise a specific event?
- Can you provide a service we could auction off or use as a prize? For example making a kids birthday cake, hairstyling, giving a dancing lesson, doing a couple of hours of gardening, etc.
- Are you confident talking in front of a crowd? Would you be willing to compere at any of our events?
- Can you do henna tattoos or face painting? Can you support our summer fair?
- Do you love doing crafts? Can you help plan and run crafts for Mother’s and Father’s Days?
- Do you have a mobile disco or DJ skills? Could you run next year’s Glow Disco for the children?
- Do you have contacts at a local business? Do you know a local business that would be willing to donate a prize to support one of our events?
- Can you make a decent cake or vegetable samosa? Could you donate something for one of our coffee mornings?
- Does your employer have a ‘Match Funding’ scheme? This is a relatively easy way for us to raise extra money.
- Or do you have a good fundraising idea? We’re always open to new ideas!
If you’re interested or just want to know more, please contact us at email@example.com – we’d love to hear from you!